Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Our VITA volunteers are working to process VITA applications. Please find the instructions below on how to drop off your materials to our office via our mail slots. All taxes are prepared by an IRS certified tax preparer. Please note: We are only accepting tax documents until Wednesday, April 15.
Nuestros voluntarios de Asistencia Voluntaria de Impuestos Sobre la Renta (VITA) están trabajando para procesar aplicaciones de VITA. Por favor lee las instrucciones abajo en como dejar sus materiales a nuestra oficina usando nuestras ranuras del correo. Todos los impuestos están preparados por un preparador de impuestos certificado por el IRS. Por favor tengan en cuenta: Solo podemos aceptar documentos de impuestos hasta el miércoles, 15 de abril.
STEP 3) BRING COPIES OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS AND DROP THEM OFF IN OUR MAIL SLOT. Please include all of your own copies. We MUST have a copy of your Photo ID and Social Security Card to process your application.
PASO 3) LLEVAR COPIAS DE LOS DOCUMENTOS SIGUIENTES Y DEJARLOS EN NUESTRA RANURA DE CORREO. Por favor incluye todos sus propias copias. Nosotros TENEMOS QUE tener una copia de su Identificación con Foto, y Carta de Seguridad Social o Carta de Asignación de Número Individual de Impuestos (ITIN) para procesar su aplicación.
What to include for your VITA Tax Preparation:
Personal documents – Bring ALL documents below.
● Photo ID
● Social Security Cards, Social Security Number verification letters, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letters for you, your spouse, and any dependents
● Birthdates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
● Bank account and routing number or a voided check for direct deposit of your refund
Income – Bring all documents that apply.
● W-2 form(s) for all jobs last year (your employer(s) will have sent you this by January 31st)
● 1099-MISC and/or 1099-K
● Records of income not reported on 1099 forms
● Records of expenses including receipts, credit statements, etc.
● Record of estimated tax payments
● SSA-1099 form for Social Security benefits
● 1099-R for pension/IRA/annuity income
Other sources of income
● 1099-G for refund of state/local income taxes
● 1098-T for scholarships/fellowships
● 1099-R for disability income
● Income or loss from the sale of stocks, bonds, or real estate
● Income or loss from rental property
● Alimony received
● Statements for prizes or lottery/gambling winnings
● Interest and dividend statements from banks
● Records for any other income
Expenses – You may be able to claim tax deductions for some of the expenses you have.
Bring documentation for all of the following expenses you have
● Retirement contributions, including a 401(k) or IRA
● State and local taxes you’ve paid
● Mortgage statements and property tax bills if you are a homeowner
● College tuition (1098-T) and student loan statements (Form 1098-E)
● Childcare expenses, including provider’s address and federal tax ID number
● Receipts for charitable donations
● Medical and dental bills
● Records for supplies used as an educator
● Last year’s federal and state tax return if available
● Proof of health insurance or exemption: Form 1095-A if you had coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, Form 1095-B/1095-C if you had other kinds of insurance, or a Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
● Tax notices: Documents from the IRS, Health Insurance Marketplace, your state tax agency, or anything that says “IMPORTANT TAX DOCUMENT”
Please note: To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, BOTH spouses must be present to sign the required form.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers free Federal & State tax return preparation for low income families in Berkshire County provided by trained volunteers. The program increases the capacity for low-income families to file returns, and improves the accuracy of the returns. To set up an appointment call Melissa, 413-418-3685 (Central / South) and Aleta, 413-663-3014 (North).
Want to volunteer as a Tax Preparer? No prior experience required. Click here to learn more!